Easy homemade granola recipe with hazelnuts and coconut oil. From our European kitchen to yours.
Why We Love It:
- Crunchy and nut-rich flavor
- No sugar – just honey (yep!)
A few years back a colleague of mine and I, were having lunch at the local canteen. We are both foodies (self-proclaimed) and love preparing yummy food for our families from scratch. During our sweet talk about smoothies, juices and homemade humus she briefly mentioned making her own granola at home. As time was pressing us to go back, we had to reschedule the granola discussion for another lunch-date. In the coming weeks we were both under pressure to meet deadlines, so we postponed & postponed and finally never came back to the granola recipe she mentioned.
Thank goodness for the internet, right?! After I’ve done some experimenting and tossed a burned batch in the rubbish bin, I finally created the right combination (for our family).
Homemade Granola with Hazelnuts and Honey
- 1 cup oats, GF if needed
- 1 cup raw hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup mix of chia seeds and flax seeds, depending on your preferences
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour, or GF if needed
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup melted organic coconut oil
- 2-4 tbsp raw honey, heaping
- In a large mixing bowl combine ingredients (dry only) until they homogenize.
- In a non-stick skillet/pan on low heat add coconut oil and honey and stir until melted. Then pour onto dry mix and combine.
- Bake on non-stick surface for around 15 (20) minutes in preheated oven (on 180 C/360F). Stir mix every five minutes to prevent granola from burning.
- Remove once oats turn golden (be sure to check frequently as nuts tend to burn out quickly). Leave to cool without stirring (if you want the granola to be crunchier).