Tasty basic sweet potato wedges with aromatic herbs, baked in the oven. Kid-friendly, quick and exceptionaly delicious. They are crispy on the outside and perfectly soft and flavourful on the inside. These homemade sweet potato wedges are perfect as side and enjoyed together with a salad.
Don’t know about you, but I always find myself searching for new ideas on how to change the usual sides we serve with fish or other meats. My go to sweet potato (as side) was either baked in foil or baked as fries (have you tried our Mediterranean Sweet Potato Fries – that are oven baked)?
Then I thought why not chop these potatoes in wedges and bake with some oil and herbs. The beauty is – they cook much quicker than foil baked potatoes for example, are much more flavourful and in fact easier to pull together on a busy day. Another mom win, eh.
What I adore about these wedges is they are particularly handy for a child to eat on their own (we just remove skin before serving). So, now my lazy eater (is that even a term), not picky mind you, easts them with no coplain. My gorgeous 4 year old loves when someone feeds him with a spoon/fork and when asked why he doesn’t want to eat – I’m just lazy mom. Outside of eating, however he’s the most active and happy little guy. My mind cannot figure out why eating turns to be such a difficult task – am I the only one?
I can go on about lazy eating at our house, but I realize this might be boring for you, so let’s chat about what you can expect from these simple sweet potato wedges, shall we?
- quick and super easy to cook (perfect for a busy day)
- sweet and packed with some extra flavour, added by herbs
- healthy versatile side meal that goes perfectly well with fish & meats and salads
- can be topped with your favorite pesto or salsa (try our lovely Basil Pesto Recipe on top per se)
For more sauces and dips ideas, be sure to check our Sauces and Dips section.
Mediteranean Sweet Potato Wedges
- 4-6 sweet potatoes, large
- 5-7 tbsp olive oil (or any vegetable oil)
- 1 tbsp oregano, minced (fresh or dried)
- 1 tbsp basil , minced (fresh or dried)
- 1 tbsp thyme, minced (fresh or dried)
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash Sweet potatoes well under cold water (use brush to remove extra dirt if needed). Then cut each potato into 4-6 wedges (depending on sweet potato size).
- Place all potato wedges side by side (skin down) onto baking sheet (& baking paper) and cover with below olive oil + herb mix on each side. I prefer using cooking brush.
- In a small mixing bowl combine olive oil and all herbs and spices and mix well. Use for coating the sweet potato wedges with cooking brush.
- Then bake on 350F/180C until sweet potatoes are soft (check with fork/toothpick) and slightly brownish on top. Serve warm with a favorite meal and sauce.