Super easy kale pesto with olive oil, walnuts and green olives. Gentle to the gut and exceptionally easy to prepare. Vegan too.
If I could be one veggie when I grow up, I want to be kale – you know the superfood green, leafy and extra delicious curly veggie that is a close cousin of wild cabbage.
GUT-FRIENDLY KALE PESTO
Ever since giving birth via C-section my gut became exceptionally sensitive. Tricky to please even. That means I have to be extra careful with any difficult to digest food, including my favorite kale. Therefore, blanching the kale became one easy solution. Happy gut = happy me.
Blanching inevitably diminishes some of kale’s nutrients, so if you prefer to keep all the goodies in, this recipe can easily be made with raw kale leaves. Simply omit the blanching step and place washed, raw kale leaves in food processor with remaining ingredients.
MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES
Classic Kale Pesto (Gut-Friendly)
- 3 cups kale (1 bunch), stems removed
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup green olives, pitted
- 1/3 cup lemon juice, approx. ½ regular
- 1-3 cloves garlic, peeled
- Pinch of salt, optional
- Water for boiling
- Wash kale leaves under cold water. Remove stems and add to boiling water. Let kale leaves blanch for 5-10 min, then remove from water and strain well. I use IKEA colander.
- Place blanched kale leaves, walnuts, olive oil, lemon juice, green olives and garlic (& salin food processor and pulse until desired consistency is reached. Transfer to serving dish of choice.
- Spread over slice of dark bread or add to pasta and enjoy!