Classic creamy Russian potato salad (Olivier), made with mayonnaise and vegetables. Rich, tasty side meal salad to any meat or fish. Can also be made with bacon. Traditional easy family recipe from my family to yours.
Flavorful, rich Potato salad with carrots, ham (or substitute bacon), pickles, peas and mayonnaise is widely popular across Russia and eastern European countries.
Growing up this salad has been our family’s go to potato salad. We enjoyed it on a toast for breakfast, as side to holiday meals ( especially around Christmas time). In fact, this classic Russian potato salad is widely popular with many russian & bulgarian families today.
As my grandparents had a small family farm, we enjoyed the privilege of eating homemade fresh mayo. After my grandparents sold their animals, no store – bought brand ever appealed to us and with time we stopped making this Russian salad. Nevertheless, a few years back we found the Alnatura organic mayo (if you live in Europe I highly recommend), which pretty much tasted like my mom’s homemade recipe. So, we started making it again. It’s a lovely salad (a bit heavy due to mayo in it), so easy to make and exceptionally flavorful. If you decide to try it, i’m pretty sure you’ll love it.
HOW TO MAKE RUSSIAN POTATO SALAD (tips)
- Choose starchy potatoes that do not fall apart when boiled with skin on. Cook on low temperature to prevent potatoes from breaking.
- Peel carrots before boiling. Otherwise it’s simply impossible to take the skin off as they are too soft.
- Choose a good mayo brand (organic tastes to much better I my experience), or use homemade. It can probably be made with vegan mayo, but I’ve never tried it this way.
- Modify taste of salad by adding more or less ingredients – like peas, carrots, mayo, etc.
- Add boiled eggs ( 1 or 2), cut in four – this is totally optional (traditional for Russian salad and modified to omit eggs in Bulgarian version).
Russian Potato Salad
Classic Russian potato salad - gorgeous rich salad with mayo and many vegetables. Perfect addition to main meals and fish.
Servings 4 people
- 4 russet potatoes, medium to large size
- 2-3 carrots, medium size
- 4 oz / 125g canned sweet peas, small
- 1 cup ham, sliced in small pieces
- 4-6 pickles, finely chopped
- 4-6 tbsp mayo, heaping
- 2 boiled eggs, shells removed, optional
- Wash carrots and potatoes under cold water. Peel skin off carrots and place in a small sauce pan with lid. Bring to a boil and then let simmer until fully cooked. Remove water and let cool down.
- In another pot place potatoes (with skin on) and let cook on low temperature until cooked. Let cool and peel skin off.
- Cut potatoes, carrots, ham, pickles (boiled eggs if added) and pace in a large salad bowl. Add canned peas ( remove water before using) and mayo.
- Stir all until well combined. Serve with meat or fish as side.
One can easily adjust flavor and quantity by adding more/less of each ingredient.