Creamy roasted cauliflower soup, enhanced by rich rosemary flavor – it’s a one stop delight for the senses. Feels like a restaurant – like expensive meal, no cheese required. Can be made vegan (with coconut milk) and/or no cream.
If you have been around here for a while you know that our family is a fan of roasted vegetable soups (see our dreamy perfect Mediterranean style Roasted Tomato soup here). If you haven’t tried roasting vegetables before blending them into a cream soup, I am certain you are missing out. Roasting these vegetables gives depths and extra sweetness to the soup any home cook desires.
WHY WE LOVE THIS ROASTED ROSEMARY CAULIFLOWER SOUP
- It’s very easy to assemble, yet resembles a restaurant-like meal.
- Has deep, creamy texture that can be achieved with either sour cream or butter
- Enhanced by bold rosemary flavor that brings additional richness and freshness.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST CREAMY ROASTED CAULIFLOWER ROSEMARY SOUP
Roast cauliflower with herbs and olive oil. It might seem like a daunting task, but roasting cauliflower creates depth and creaminess that otherwise gets away. If you so wish, roast cauliflower in advance, then when preserve in air-tight container and cook later. That way you will have freshly cooked meal for dinner (for 15 minutes).
Choose herbs wisely. They create the rich flavor you want to create – for this recipe I like to use fresh rosemary or dried ( if you live in Europe I would recommend the dried rosemary that Kotayni offers in stores (like Kaufland). It’s unbelievably good and aromatic.
Add sour cream (or substitute butter / coconut milk) – adding sour cream (or some butter) multiplies richness of soup and creates extra depth.
Blend until completely smooth. It’s best to blend in stand blender rather than hand blender, otherwise soup might not get much creamier and lumps will be visible.
Creamy Roasted Cauliflower Rosemary Soup
- 1 medium head cauliflower, divided into florets
- 1 onion head, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Pinch of salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp rosemary, finely chopped (fresh or dried)
- 4 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 - 2 tbsp sour cream, or melted butter
- 4 cups water (or vegetable broth), or more as needed
- Wash cauliflower under cold water, then divide using a sharp knife into bite-size florets. Then, in a large mixing bowl add 3 tbsp olive oil ( 1 tbsp remains for sauteed onions), garlic powder, paprika and mix until cauliflower is well coated.
- Place cauliflower onto baking tray (preferably non-stick) and bake until edges become brownish.
- In a soup pan add 1 tbsp olive oil, chopped onion and saute until soft (5 min approx). Add a bit of water if needed to prevent from burning.
- Then add cauliflower into soup pan together with salt, rosemary, sour cream (or butter) and water (broth). Bring to a boil and let simmer until well cooked (10 to 15 min approx).
- Let cool slightly, then transfer to blender and blend until smooth. Garnish with some rosemary and serve warm with bread.