One classic homemade French bread recipe that calls for minimum ingredients and yet is so delicious and easy to make (can be made in bread machine). Treat yourself a French classic for breakfast or dinner, you might as well fall in love.
Classics are classics, simple yet sophisticated enough to make us fear facing them (in this case cooking). Or at least that’s how my mom explains failing her literature exam back in the day, when asked to speak on Shakespeare.
Now, fear not – this recipe will not fail you. It’s a classic French bread that many French families serve at the table every day.
We make that bread almost every day. I usually place the ingredients in the bread machine to skip the kneading process. Then transfer into bread loaf and bake in the oven. Whenever I am extra short on time, or need to go out and run an errand – I simply leave it in the bread machine to bake. So it works both ways really.
For best results my French mother – in – law says one should knead bread by hand. But hey, I cannot hold a 3 month old (who’s known for napping only if held), play cars with a 4 year old and cook all at the same time. So, my precious machine does the magic for me. One must do whatever works best.
Classic French bread recipe
Quick classic french bread recipe for a homemade bread.
1 cup = 200/220 ml
- 3 cups flour, finely milled
- 1,5 cups water, lukewarm
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 tbsp dry yeast, slow rising (or regular)
- pinch of salt
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and knead until a dough is formed. The dough should not be sticky, therefore if needed add some more flour and/or water (tbsp by tbsp). Knead the dough as if you are folding a handkerchief for best kneading results.
- Line a bread pan with baking paper and place the dough inside. Using a sharp knife make 3 lines on top. Then cover with a wet towel and leave dough to rise - double the size. Then bake in preheated oven (350F/180C) for about 40 min or until done.
Bread pan dimensions: 22 x 9 cm