Sophisticated looking (but easy to make!) cheesy Mediterranean style zucchini roll. Perfect as appetizer (cold) and/or even main/side meal. Packed with delicious ingredients such as feta cheese and ricotta, topped with some nutty flavor.
Let’s talk zucchini, shall we. We love them, you love them. They are versatile and delicious. Not to mention nutritious, as any other vegetable out there. We enjoy them baked, stuffed, in soups or smoothies. But how about made into a roll, a cheesy one for that matter. I’d simply say yes please.
The best part is this is one recipe that looks pretty sophisticated, but is actually a child’s play to make. And who doesn’t love these types of recipes. I sure do!
Let’s see how the process of making the roll looks like below in photos.
If you’ve been here long enough you might have noticed our family loves Feta Cheese. If there’s no Feta in the fridge, I get the feeling something is missing.
If you are not a fat of Feta however, it can be substituted with any type of yellow cheese that cooks well in the oven.
In addition, fresh herbs can be interchanged for dried.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM THE ROLL:
- Greek-y style appetizer / side that is perfectly rich in flavors
- Cheesy flavor blend mixed with nuts and fresh dill, wrapped up in gentle zucchini roll
- Marvelous presentation with easy execution
- Hungry neighbors asking how you made such delicious roll
BEST TIPS TO CONSIDER:
- Remove excess water from grated zucchini. Otherwise the zucchini roll ‘dough’ will get too water-y
- When assembling the roll, roll it in gently, using the baking paper as support. In general the roll can break easily, so it must be handled gently.
- The filling is very non-pretentious, so if you do not measure all ingredients precisely do not be alarmed. It will still turn out delicious. In fact, I never measure it, but instead taste and add more ingredients depending on how it tastes.
MORE RECIPES TO TRY:
- Classic Kale Pesto (gut-friendly) – see full recipe here
- Cheeky Roasted Eggplant Pepper Relish – see full recipe here
- Creamier Baba Ganoush – see full recipe here
- Healthy Zucchini Yogurt Dip – see full recipe here
For more tasty dips, sauces and pesto recipes, definitely check our Appetizer Section
Ricotta Feta Zucchini Roll Recipe
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup Greek yogurt , around 3,5 fat
- 3 /700g/ zucchinis, medium
- 1 cup /200g/ ricotta cheese
- 5 tbsp whole wheat flour, GF if needed
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup /100g/ ricotta cheese
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, minced
- 1 clove garlic
- Wash and grate zucchinis. Then place in a colander (or bowl of choice) and add salt. Let sit for approx. 10 min or until water comes out of zucchinis. Then using a fork (or cloth) strain the water and set grated zucchini aside.
- Add remaining 'zucchini roll' ingredients to the strained zucchini and combine well. Place mixture on a baking paper and bake in preheated oven (180C/360F) until cooked (slightly brownish on the surface).Then let cool completely and prepare the filling.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all filling ingredients and mix well. When zucchini roll is baked and completely cooled, spread the filling all over the roll. Then using the baking paper start (gently otherwise it may break) rolling from one side to the other. The other end should be placed on the bottom to prevent unrolling.
- If desired, place the roll in the fridge for 30 minutes to cool. Then cut in pieces and serve.