Fluffy and healthy pancakes with whole wheat flour and plant milk (of choice). Perfect quick breakfast or brunch.
A few weeks ago I came home from work and the moment I walked in the door David came to me enthusiastically screaming ‘’Mama, pancakes, pancakes!’’. I thought, well he’s probably playing a cooking game (one of his favorites). I love seeing him play Chef (this baby kitchen on Amazon is gorgeous!). No better way to teach children good nutrition habits than encouraging them to cook & eat through play.
While I was trying to take my boots off, he ran back in the kitchen and brought me a pan. When you are given a pan and instructed to put it on the stove by a 2 year old- you know things are serious. You have no choice but give in and start making pancakes for dinner.
The greatest fun of all – the flipping part – let’s try and flip high enough, so the pancake reaches the sky …. or maybe the kitchen ceiling (#peppapig).
We rarely use animal milks in our kitchen, so I usually make pancakes with plant based alternatives (like coconut milk/ flax seeds milk).
The only issue that day was – I had no seeds and only a spoonful of coconut flakes. Thank goodness, I had a bottle of Spelt milk in my pantry. Alnatura saved the day!
I started making my very own plant based milks a few years back. The main driver behind it was my love for pancakes and smoothies. They are a great budget alternative to a store bought plant milks (that sometimes contain way too much sugar). Plus, you can choose the ingredients – vanilla lovers, here we go.
MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES TO TRY:
- Raw carob powder bites with plums – see recipe here
- Easy 3-ingredient Coconut macaroons – see recipe here
- BEST walnut cookies (only 3 ingredients and even gluten-free) – see recipe here
- Tahini Brownie (one bowl delight) – see recipe here
- Our favorite carrot cake recipe (with coconut cream frosting) – see recipe here
- Fluffy apple cake with fresh apples and cinnamon – see recipe here
- Homemade granola with coconut oil and hazelnuts – see recipe here
Fluffy Plant Based Milk Pancakes
- 1 cup plant based milk of choice, (soy, almond, oat milk, ect.)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil, for greasing the pan
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and mix (with your hand mixer) until no lumps can be seen.
- Preheat non-stick pancake pan (or pancake pan like this one on Amazon) on stove top.
- Optional: Once pan is heated, grease it (with cotton pad or wooden spatula) with olive oil.
- With a medium laddle (this one should to the trick) place some of the batter on the pan. Let pancake batter distribute. Once bubbles start to form and the edges of pancake are dry, flip the pancake over and let sit until golden.
- Remove from pan and store pancake one over the other. That way, heat is preserved and helps pancakes stay softer for longer. Repeat until all pancake batter is cooked. Serve with desired topping (frozen berries, yogurt, honey, marmalade, ect.)