Greek style savory oatmeal cake – just one bowl, gut-friendly and super versatile. Oh, gluten-free and kid-friendly too. It might be your next favorite breakfast recipe.
Our lovely and simplistic savory cake is incredibly easy to make and super delicious. In the colder days of the year we usually make it at least once a week.
Our household loves oatmeal – chewy oatmeal biscuits like this ones (inspired by Amy’s healthy baking) in several variations or raw oatmeal bars (like these ones). The thing is however – most of my winter bakes are on the sweet side. So last year I thought it was about time I turn things around. Then one day, my husband came home from work and told me a colleague has made a super tasty oatmeal savory cake and brought to the office as a birthday treat. He loved it and requested I make similar version at home.
I started researching and experimenting and not long after this tasty and super easy recipe was brought to life. What I love about cooking with oats is they are super absorbent and modifiable. That means even if I accidentally add a bit more liquid (how does that even happen you ask – one word –> toddler) – no one will ever notice. The savory cake will turn as delicious as ever.
MORE DELICIOUS AND EASY BREAKFAST IDEAS:
- BEST walnut cookies (only 3 ingredients and even gluten-free) – see recipe here
- Tahini Brownie (one bowl delight) – see recipe here
- Our favorite carrot cake recipe (with coconut cream frosting) – see recipe here
- Fluffy apple cake with fresh apples and cinnamon – see recipe here
- Homemade granola with coconut oil and hazelnuts – see recipe here
- Authentic french crepes – see recipe here
One Bowl Savory Oatmeal Cake
- 1, 1/2 cups (300g) Greek Yogurt, plain
- 3 medium eggs, beaten
- 2, 1/2 cups (200g) oats, GF if needed
- 2, 1/2 cups (200g) feta cheese , crumbled
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cumin powder, optional, but very tasty
- 1/2 cup sliced bacon, optional
- In a large bowl mix Greek yogurt and baking soda until well combined. If your yogurt bubbles up that's even a good thing - bake will become even fluffier.
- In large mixing bowl, crumble feta cheese with hands or fork. Add all remaining ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Place in baking pan of choice ( I usually use cake pan - ' 9 '- like this one by Amazon) but a regular non-stick pan will do as well.
- Bake in preheated oven on 180 C/360F for about 15-20 min until golden on top / toothpick comes out clean.
- Cut in squares and enjoy with family & friends.