Easy, soft savory Greek Yogurt Oat Cake – requires one bowl and a whisk to pull together. Can be made with or without ham/bacon. Ideal for kids and as breakfast for the family.
This simplistic savory greek yogurt cake is incredibly easy to make and super delicious. In the colder days of the year we usually make it at least once a week. We love it, the kids love it and I’m about to introduce it to my littlest one who’s doing baby led weaning at 8 months. Hope you love it too.
HOW TO MAKE THIS SAVORY GREEK YOGURT CAKE
- Whisk greek yogurt and baking soda until it gets bubbly, that way the cake will have some ‘air’ in the baking process.
- Monitor baking as it might burn out pretty quickly – leaving it in the oven for too long might make the cake dry and less appealing. Check with toothpick and if it comes out clean, take the cake out the oven and let cool. Then slice.
- Add in your favorite ingredients – we make it with feta cheese, ham, bacon, cheddar and so on.
- Make it gluten-free – you can totally make it gluten free if needed – simply choose your GF oats and substitute.
Savory Greek Yogurt Oat Cake
- 1, 1/2 cups (300g) Greek Yogurt, plain
- 3 medium eggs, beaten
- 2, 1/2 cups (200g) oats, GF if needed
- 2, 1/2 cups (200g) feta cheese , crumbled
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cumin powder, optional, but very tasty
- 1/2 cup sliced bacon/ham, optional
- In a large bowl mix Greek yogurt and baking soda until well combined - until bubbles form in the yogurt - that ensures cake will be airy and soft. Use fork or hand whisk.
- In large mixing bowl, crumble feta cheese with hands or fork (if not already crumbled). Add all remaining ingredients and mix until well combined (using hand whisk or fork).
- Place in baking pan of choice (mine is 22cm/9inch round baking pan), best with non-stick surface. If you use reglar baking pan be sure to grease the bottom and sides.
- Bake in preheated oven on 180 C/360F for about 15-20 min until golden on top / toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool, the cut in squares (or other shapes) and enjoy with family & friends.