Crunchy and healthy homemade Mediterranean savory crackers with herbs and whole wheat flour. They require one bowl only, are ridiculously easy to make and taste incredible. Perfect for little helpers too, you basically need to try them.
This recipe was born out of pure necessity. When winter hits and one is quarantined at home due to COVID19 and pregnant, going to the store for just a bag of crackers in the middle of the night no less, is practically impossible.
So, there I was 6+ months pregnant, exceptionally hungry – all-the-time and very careful to protect myself as much as possible from the unknown. One day, I was craving crackers, but couldn’t simply put the boots on and go to the store. We made a rule to go shopping once a week (thanks ”social distancing”) and this week we already had bought all we needed. So, when you cannot reach for a store bought solution of crazy pregnancy cravings, you simply make it at home.
Above you can see how we make these crackers in pictures.
What one can expect from these crackers:
- palette of herbs and beautiful tomato taste
- healthy and easy to make
- not pretentious at all – you do not even have to measure and cut them perfectly
- kid-friendly – perfect for engaging little helpers in the process
BEST TIPS TO MAKE THESE SAVORY CRACKERS:
- Flour your surface when you roll out the dough.
- Brush your rolling pin with vegetable oil before rolling out the dough.
- Roll out the dough as thin as possible to get the best crunchy feel.
- If you choose to add fresh herbs not dried, chop them as finely as possible.
- Choose your tomato concentrate wisely – it gives a lot of flavor to the crackers and basically is the base flavor of these little beauties.
- Engage your little ones when making the crackers – that way they taste much better.
MORE TASTY RECIPES TO TRY:
- Feta Ricotta Zucchini Roll – see recipe here
- Classic Kale Pesto (gut-friendly) – see full recipe here
- Cheeky Roasted Eggplant Pepper Relish – see full recipe here
- Creamier Baba Ganoush – see full recipe here
- Healthy Zucchini Yogurt Dip – see full recipe here
For more tasty dips, sauces and pesto recipes, definitely check our Appetizer Section
Savory Crackers Recipe (Homemade)
- 1, 1/2 cups /250 g flour + more for sprinkling , whole wheat ( finely milled )
- 2 tbsp tomato concentrate
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp thyme, dried
- 1 tsp oregano , dried
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup water, or more as needed
1 cup = 250 ml
- In a large mixing bowl add flour. baking powder and herbs and spices and mix well until combined.
- Then make a whole in the middle of the flour mix and add olive oil, tomato concentrate and water. Start mixing until a smooth ball (that does not stick to your fingers) is formed. Add more flour and/or water (tbsp by tbsp) if needed. Grease hands with olive oil if mixing by hand and the dough turns too sticky at first.
- On a flat surface sprinkle some flour and roll out the dough into a thin ( as thin as possible) 'sheet'. Start cutting the desired forms. Then transfer onto baking sheet and use fork to make small wholes in the crackers.
- Bake in preheated oven (180C/350F) until crackers turn lightly brown. Be careful as they might burn quickly. Remove and set aside to cool completely. Keep in air tight container.