30 minute (lazy) Greek Stuffed Eggplant with minced meat and tomatoes. Perfect lazy oven baked dinner (stuffing can be prepared in advance) infused by Greek flavor and herbs. Kid-friendly too.
If you are looking for a quick (meal prep friendly) dinner that is rich in flavor and healthy at the same time, then this recipe is just for you.
MEAL- PREP IDEAS
If you are into meal-prepping I suggest making the stuffing in advance. The only change you’ll need to make is prepare the stuffing without eggplant flesh. That would require you to increase the meat/ tomato content. You can throw in some carrots and even fresh chives. Easy peasy!
As any other dinner recipe, there are no rules except it has to be super tasty (to your personal preferences) and possibly healthy (just couldn’t go without saying that), you can play around with ingredients. So, if you prefer to omit adding the eggplant flesh simply cut and freeze for use in future meals.
If you use canned tomatoes (1/2 can) and want to use for next day-s meal, place the can on eye level in the fridge. That way you lowers the chance to forget about them (as I sometimes do) and throw them away at the end.
Lazy Greek Stuffed Eggplant
- 4 medium eggplants, cut in half lengthwise, hollowed out
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped
- Pinch of salt, to taste
- Hallowed eggplant flesh cut in cubes, optional*
- 1 pound 18 oz/500g minced meat , (ground beef or mix of beef & pork)
- 1 large onion head, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, or ½ small can chopped tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh/dry oregano
- 1 tbsp all-purpose seasoning, or salt and pepper to taste
- Wash eggplant under cold water, cut out bottoms and cut lengthwise. Then hallow out to approx.. ¼ inch flesh rim (the thinner, the better). Set aside eggplant flesh for stuffing or alternatively cut in cubes and freeze for future use.
- In a small bowl combine vegetable oil, garlic, dill and salt and mix well. Then brush eggplant boats with the mix using cooking brush (the eggplant tends to absorb oil quickly, so you need to be quick if using your fingers to coat).
- In large stove pan / saucepot place olive oil and minced meat. Sauté until meat changes color while stirring frequently to prevent stacks (approx.5 min).
- Then add chopped eggplant flesh, onion, tomatoes, garlic, seasoning and herbs and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and let simmer until almost cooked (approx. 15 min). Add a little bit of water if needed to prevent burning.
- Once stuffing is cooked, fill in each eggplant with it (heaping). If stuffing seems ‘’water-y’ – that’s even better - that way meal will not get dry when placed in the oven.
- Place eggplant in baking dish and bake until top stuffing gets crispy (approx. 10 min) on 180C/360F in your oven.
- Serve immediately or while still warm.
- OPTIONAL: Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese while still hot.