Fresh basil pesto recipe, hugged by nuts it presents a mouth-watering texture and taste. This basil pesto recipe is perfect for salads, toasts, wraps and pasta.
Spring is around the corner, or so we hope. Since life awakens for a new beginning, we love to use all seasonal produce we are able to find on the market. That includes anything and everything green. And on today’s menu it’s king basil – a nutritious and flavorful herb used all across Europe and the Mediterranean.
Why we love this pesto recipe around the house:
- It’s easy to prepare
- Packed with nutrients and rich on taste
- Perfect on a busy day during spring/summer months when we look for lighter and quicker meals
- Ideal addition to salads, wraps, sandwiches and even gnocchi & spaghetti (in larger quantities)
Did I convince you to try it, well I hope I did – otherwise you will be missing out. Plus, it goes perfectly well on top of our Juicy Grilled tuna steaks recipe.
And if you live in a part of the world where tomatoes are now growing and ripening, i cannot recommend enough topping some of our basil pesto over (pink) taste-bursting tomatoes. Then drizzle some olive oil and add baby mozzarella (just like we did in the photos here). Thatt, my friend is the perfect light Italian summer salad. Mmm, yum!
MORE TASTY RECIPES TO TRY:
- Classic Kale Pesto (gut-friendly) – see full recipe here
- Cheeky Roasted Eggplant Pepper Relish – see full recipe here
- Creamier Baba Ganoush – see full recipe here
- Healthy Zucchini Yogurt Dip – see full recipe here
For more tasty dips, sauces and pesto recipes, definitely check our Appetizer Section
Magical Basil Pesto
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, heaping
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup fresh green onion leaves
- ½ cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 glove garlic, minced
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin, or more as needed to taste
- Pinch of salt
- Wash all green ingredients under cold water and chop roughly.
- In a food processor add walnuts and pulse until finely chopped. Then add basil, cilantro, green onion, olive oil, garlic and salt. Pulse until well combined. Add more olive oil (spoon by spoon) if mix seems too dry to your preferences.
- Spread over salads, pasta, gnocchi or put into wraps and sandwiches. Enjoy!
- Vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, kid-friendly; Nutritious and extra delicious;
Substitutions are always possible: interchange walnuts with hazelnuts for example;
- If you use on pasta/ gnocchi we recommend you double the batch
- Store in air-tight container for up to 48 hours.