Herb-y, sweetly delightful and even oven baked, these Mediterranean style sweet potato fries are ready for a party! Not to mention they are pretty easy to make and kid-friendly too. No cornstarch!
Why we love these Mediterranean oven- baked sweet potato fries:
- perfectly crisp on the outside and soft on the inside
- rich in flavor and super healthy too
- add sophisticated feel to any main meal
- party ready – you just need a tasty dip (try our Zucchini Yogurt Dip or our Creamy Baba Ganoush) and good company
- last but not least, kid-friendly (they won’t even notice the garlic)
Just be warned, they tend to disappear pretty quickly too!
Psst, if you are not very fond of sweet potato flavor in general (like my mother-in-law), but still want to incorporate them in your diet – our sweet potato fries recipes is the perfect place to start. Their herby flavor and crispy feel somewhat mute the classic sweet potato flavor and gets them closer to their French fries cousins.
HOW TO MAKE THE PERFECT BAKED SWEET POTATO FRIES (with no cornstarch):
There are 2 main laws I follow, when preparing sweet potato fries that ensure excellent results:
- Preheat your baking pan/sheet – the shock created when you 1st toss the room temperature potato fries into a preheated pan contributes to the outer crispness of your fries.
- Let them soak in the olive oil and herbs mix – many of the vitamins and nutrients in vegetables are fat soluble, meaning your body absorbs them better in the presence of fat. So, letting them sit with olive oil on will get the maximum nutrient content and flavor out of your healthy sweet potato fries. Cool, right?
MAKE IN ADVANCE IDEA
You can peel and slice sweet potatoes in advance for up to 8 hours (or more if you ask my granny). Then place in a large bowl and cover with cold water – potatoes should be completely covered, otherwise they tend to turn black (valid for all types of potatoes).
Just make sure to pat them dry before seasoning & baking, otherwise olive oil might not reach deep within – hence flavor and nutrient qualities will change.
Mediterranean Sweet Potato Chips
- 1 pound (1/2 kilo) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp rosemary leaves, minced
- 1 tsp sage leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp oregano leaves, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or ½ tsp garlic powder)
- Sea salt, to taste
- Wash sweet potatoes under cold water and peel the skin off. Then cut sweet potatoes in fingers (approx. 1/4″ wide) and wash under cold water (to remove any skin leftovers).
- In a large mixing bowl, add olive oil, all herbs (if fresh finely minced), garlic and salt and mix until all potato fingers are well coated on each side. Set aside and leave for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, place empty non-stick baking sheet/pan in oven and preheat for 10 min. on 200 C/ 400F. If you do not have non-stick sheet, cover your oven pan with aluminum foil and let preheat for 10 minutes (works like a charm!).
- After 10 minutes, carefully take out hot baking sheet from oven and toss all seasoned sweet potato fingers onto the sheet (if using foil, do not remove it rather toss over the foil). Distribute evenly and return in oven until potatoes are cooked (approx. 15-20 min in my oven) on 200 C/ 400F.
- Once cooked (I check with fork), let cool slightly and serve while still warm.