Mediterranean style Bulgur with zucchini and shrimp, infused by aromatic herbs and fresh lemon (optional). Perfect light healthy dinner / lunch for the whole family.
Light weekday dinner with bulgur, shrimp and zucchini. Infused by lively fresh herbs this lovely light dish coveys Mediterranean vibes at the table.
HOW TO MAKE MEDITERRANEAN BULGUR WITH SHRIMPS AND ZUCCHINI:
- The shrimp we use is usually cleaned, boiled and then frozen. Each pack contains small pink shrimp, approx. 200g / 8 oz – >uncooked weight. Feel free to substitute with any type of shrimp you have / like.
- Also keep in mind that shrimp cooks quicker than most ingredients, plus water from shrimp evaporates fast as well, so cooked shrimp appears much smaller that uncooked shrimp.
- Make bulgur wheat taste better – use vegetable stock / or water & vegetable bouillon cube to make it more rich in taste.
- The bulgur we buy is made from cracked wheat berries, separated into pieces and then par-cooked. Thus, it usually cooks for about 15 min and it’s ready to be used in salads and meals. Cooking ratio is usually 1 cup bulgur to 2 cups liquid (1:2). That being said, do not be afraid to add more liquid if needed during the cooking process.
- Zucchini – I like zucchini to be slightly brownish otherwise they taste like boiled to me, but if you so prefer add shrimp alongside zucchini or soon after.
- Do not skip adding fresh dill to the recipe as it creates such deep and beautiful flavor that otherwise will be missed.
- Adjust quantities of ingredients to fit your own taste (more or less bulgur/ zucchini, etc.
Mediterranean Bulgur with Shrimp and Zucchini
- 2 zucchini, medium, chopped into small pieces
- 1 pack raw pink shrimp , frozen with tail off
- 1 medium onion, peeled & finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, finely minced
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 3 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- salt to taste
- 1, 1/2 cup bulgur , not cooked
- water (or use vegetable stock) for cooking bulgur
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube, optional if water used for bulgur
- In a large sauce pan with lid, cook bulgur according to package instructions. Alternatively, combine water and bulgur, then bring to a boil and let simmer until fully cooked. Add water (and one vegetable bullion cube) or vegetable stock to make it's taste rich and more delicious.
- In a separate sauce pan add minced garlic, onion and olive oil. Saute for 5-7 minutes until tender ( stir frequently as onion browns quickly).
- Then add chopped zucchini, black pepper, salt and minced dill and cook until zucchini are almost done. Then add (thawed) shrimp and let simmer until cooked. Cover with lid and stir frequently. Edges of zucchini may get brownish (which is much tastier in my view).
- Then remove from stove top and add cooked bulgur. Stir well to combine and serve warm drizzled with some organic soy sauce or balsamic vinegar.