Easy Roasted Tomato Soup prepared with fresh tomatoes and fantastic herbs. Mild and creamy Mediterranean taste that delights the senses. Easy and super quick to make.
Nothing better than homemade tomato soup that is made with fresh tomatoes. If you are like me however, growing up tomato soup wasn`t on your `wish list`. Even tough my granny added some sugar to it, it still tasted way to sharp for me.
This soup however is something different. Adding some extra sweet red onions and zucchini creates a mild, creamy texture that still lets the natural beauty of fresh ripe tomatoes shine trough.
Topped with tasty herbs, that strengthen it`s flavor and creates a strong Mediterranean zest.
The best part is when you roast the vegetables beforehand, the soup turns even better.
We usually toss some feta croutons in when the soup is ready. If you haven`t tried them yet, well what are you waiting for – they are the best! And here`s the recipe.
Mediterranean Roasted Tomato Soup
- 4-6 ripe tomatoes, fresh
- 2 onions, red
- 2 zucchini, medium
- 4 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 tbsp thyme, dried
- 2 tbsp basil leaves, dried
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 6 cups water (or broth), or more/less as needed
- Wash all ingredients under cold water. Then chop them into rough chunks, add olive oil, thyme salt and pepper and stir well until combined. Place all veggies onto (non-stick) baking sheet and bake (180C/360F) in the oven until almost roasted.
- Once ingredients have been well roasted, place them in a soup pan, add water (stock) and bring to a boil. Leave to simmer for about 10 minutes until cooked. Then leave soup to cool and blend well in high speed blender. Serve warm or cold as preferred.
- Water can be changed with chicken broth (stock) for deeper flavor.
- Quantity of liquid should be adjusted to one's personal creaminess preferences.
- Sour cream (1-2 tbsp) can be added for richness and additional creaminess.