Fluffy and moist apple cake with fresh apples and cinnamon (no baking powder). Easy and packed with special flavors – this little cake is ideal as breakfast (on-the-go) or tea/coffee brunch.
When I fist met my french my mother -in-law it was no surprise to me she was an excellent cook. I certainly had a lot to learn, luckily she was eager (and still is) to share her knowledge and recipes with me.
Today’s recipe is a family favorite apple cake with fresh grated apples from my husband’s childhood. Adding fresh fruits to a cake makes them much more rich and delicious, don’t you think?
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST FRESH APPLE CAKE WITH NUTS
- Do not skip beating the eggs with sugar until they become a fluffy foam texture. That gives the cake extra air and flavor.
- Add the rest of ingredients gently and mix with the goal to preserve as much air as possible.
- The cake batter should be somewhat liquid (but not runny like honey). If you feel the cake can take an extra apple, be sure to grate one additional in.
- Change walnuts with pecans or hazelnuts. Yes, this cake is that versatile.
Moist Apple Cake Recipe with Fresh Apples and Cinnamon
1 cup = 200 ml
- 2 cups flour (whole wheat)
- 3 eggs, large
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3-4 apples, skin off, grated
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 cup walnuts , finely chopped
- In a large mixing bowl beat eggs and sugar until it looks like a soft foam (3-4 min). Then add vegetable oil and beat again on low speed until incorporated.
- Then wash apples, remove skin with peeler and grate (on largest grater side) while removing the seeds and inside. Add to the above mix, then add flour, baking soda, cinnamon and walnuts. Mix gently until all is well combined. Take care to preserve as much air as possible.
- Bake in preheated oven (350F/180C) until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool and slice in desired shape. Serve with tea/coffee.