Fluffy and moist apple cake with fresh apples and cinnamon. Easy and packed with special flavors – this little cake is ideals as breakfast (on-the-go) or mid-day snack.
It was one of those Sundays – running errands with D. and trying to do as much as possible in my afternoon ‘cooking power (half) hour’.
We went to the store, got a heavy bag full of seasonal produce to stock up the fridge for the week (heaven!). As I laid D. for his afternoon nap, I quick thought ran through my mind ‘’Where are the carrots? Did I forget them in the car? Oh, no!?’
That day, I wanted to make our favorite Carrot cake with coconut milk frosting (see here our favorite carrot cake recipe). Unfortunately, in the rush, I’ve forgotten to take the bag with all my fresh carrots.
Now, when you live in a house with a garage – a quick run to get a carrot is no biggie. When you just laid your toddler for a nap in the apartment – a run to the car seems like a no-go.
So, I had a choice to make – a difficult that is – leave the Carrot cake check box on my to-do list empty (at this point the perfectionist-oriented part of my brain is freaking out). Or, substitute the carrots with a juicy apple I had on hand (the adventurous part of my mind is dancing the “happy dance”).
As one can imagine, a cold-ish weekend without a dessert is no real weekend. So, I went for the substitution – and to my surprise the Apple Cake turned much better than expected. That’s why I’m sharing it with you today.
MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES TO TRY:
- BEST walnut cookies (only 3 ingredients and even gluten-free) – see recipe here
- Tahini Brownie (one bowl delight) – see recipe here
- Our favorite carrot cake recipe (with coconut cream frosting) – see recipe here
- Fluffy apple cake with fresh apples and cinnamon – see recipe here
- Homemade granola with coconut oil and hazelnuts – see recipe here
Moist Apple Cake Recipe with Fresh Apples and Cinnamon
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs, medium
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1, 1/2 cup fresh apple, grated
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, or coconut oil
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup raisins, optional
- Separate egg whites from egg yolks in two different bowls. Then beat egg whites until stiff peaks are formed and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat brown sugar, oil and egg yolks until well combined. Then add flour, baking soda grated fresh apple, cinnamon and raisins (optional) and mix well.
- At the end, add the egg whites (stiff peaks) into the batter and gently mix while trying to preserve as much air as possible.
- Place batter in cake pan of choice and bake in preheated oven on 180 C/ 360 F for about 20 min (or until a toothpick comes out clean).