Crunchy phyllo (filo) dough crust hugs layes of shredded sweet pumpkin and walnuts that blend into each other in this heary seasonal pumpkin pie. Making pumpkin pie has never been easier.
The pros of living in Eastern Europe is that phyllo dough is in one’s blood (litherally). Growing up here was always something phyllo on the table – sweet or savory. So today, I’m sharing with you a family favorite pumpkin pie recipe, that is made entirely with phyllo dough.
It’s very easy to assemble, the toughest part of preparing this sweet pie is actually shredding the pumpkin.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PASTRY DOUGH AND PHYLLO DOUGH?
The main difference is that phyllo dough is made entirely from water, flour and salt. There is no butter or any type of fat. That makes phyllo dough sheets extra thin and crispy when baked.
HOW TO MAKE PHYLLO DOUGH PUMPKIN PIE FROM SCRATCH (WITH PICTURES)
Phyllo dough pumpkin pie
- 1 pack phyllo (filo) dough, approx. 16 phyllo sheets
- 6-8 cups shredded pumpkin, raw
- 2 cups walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cups water, as needed
- Cut and shred pumpkin (using grater), then place in large mixing bowl and add sugar, walnuts and vegetable oil. Stir well until combined. If desired one can add more sugar/walnuts - just taste the mix straight from the bowl.
- Then, in a large baking pan (mine is round, approx. 9 inch) start by layering 2 phyllo sheets together (if for some reason phyllo sheets are not as thin, lay one by one). Sheets should look 'wrinkled' if you use round pan, so they can fit inside.
- Then distribute pumpkin mix throughout the sheets (not all parts of the sheet should be covered with pumpkin mix - see photos above recipe). Then layer another pair of phyllo sheets and repeat until pumpkin mix is over. Final layer should be one phyllo sheet.
- Then add 1/4 cups of water (or less) to mixing bowl and spoon by spoon start wetting the ends of pumpkin pie around the pan (otherwise they turn too crispy as there's no filling around the edges of the pan). Then sprinkle water over the last phyllo sheet (should be moist).
- Preheat oven at max temperature, then reduce (to 350F/180C) and bake pumpkin pie until top becomes crispy and brownish. Check regularly to avoid burning it out. Then let aside to cool and cut into squares.