Raw poppy seed (Christmas) cake – sweet and extra easy to prepare. Packed with poppy seed flavor it just melts away in your mouth.
- Simple & Quick to prepare
- Light & Modifiable
- Poppy seeds & Carob delight
A few weeks ago my sister-in-law came by – just in time for this sweet Poppy seed cake I was making. While playing with D., she saw me mix the layer ingredients and put filling in -> then off to freezer. Apparently the process seemed too easy because she suddenly exclaimed ‘’is that really all you do to make this cake?’’. ‘Yes, darling, that’s all I do’. She seemed intrigued and somewhat hungry. Not going to tell D. who (read my hungry sister-in-law) ate his favorite biscuits that day, no, no.
I had a cup of poppy seeds sitting in my pantry for a while (embarrassing to say how long exactly), so when I stumbled upon Pomes Pomes website and her Vegan Poppy seed cake, I took a sticky note and started to write it down.
I changed a few things along the way:
- No nuts for the crust (as my 2 year old has tried only cashews at that point, hazelnuts and almonds were a no go.
- No frosting – I added carob powder to the filling.
- Added pitted dates to crust.
MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES:
- Raw carob powder bites with plums – see recipe here
- Easy 3-ingredient Coconut macaroons – see recipe here
- BEST walnut cookies (only 3 ingredients and even gluten-free) – see recipe here
- Tahini Brownie (one bowl delight) – see recipe here
- Our favorite carrot cake recipe (with coconut cream frosting) – see recipe here
- Fluffy apple cake with fresh apples and cinnamon – see recipe here
- Homemade granola with coconut oil and hazelnuts – see recipe here
Raw-some Poppy Seed Cake with Oranges
- 1, 1/2 cup medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup seeds mix, (flax & chia seeds)
- 1/2 cup golden raisins, soaked in water if desired
- 2 tbsp organic coconut oil, melted
- orange peels or 1 drop cooking orange oil , optional
- 1, 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup poppy seeds, soaked overnight
- 6 tbsp organic coconut oil, melted
- 4 tbsp agave nectar
- 2 tbsp carob powder
- juice from one medium orange
- Place all crust ingredients in food processor and pulse until a sticky dough is formed (mine gets into a ball).
- Spread the crust dough evenly on freezable cake form and press down with spatula or spoon (even measuring cup will do). I use freezer-friendly glass form (see similar on Amazon) and place in freezer for 10 to 20 min until crust gets harder.
- Place soaked cashews and poppy seeds in food processor and pulse until smooth (high speed food processor does best).
- Place coconut oil in pan/skillet on stove top and melt on low heat. Then add to cashew and poppy seed mixture.
- Next, add orange juice, carob powder and agave and mix well until combined with cashew mix. Spread the mix over crust and let sit in the freezer for about 30 minutes.