Fluffy savoury muffins with green olives, feta cheese (see substitution ideas), pumpkin seeds and herbs. Easy to prepare ( approx. 30 min), vegetarian – we enjoy them for breakfast and brunch. They are perfect for kids too.
These easy muffins convey rich flavors that will carry you through the Greek islands like a breeze. Now, seriously since coming up with the combination of seeds, olives and feta cheese we make them embarassingly often. If you are a fan of Greek cuisine, definitely try out this combination.
Not every one has access to Feta cheese, nor does everyone like to follow recipes by the book. Of that I’m sure (just because I do not usually follow instrctions either). Therefore, here are some ideas to consider if you wish to make changes.
- Cheese – Feta cheese can be interchanged with Crumbled Feta cheese or shredded Cheddar cheese.
- Seeds – you can basically add any type of seeds (like sunflower or chia seeds), as long as proportions remain the same. However, I find the pumpkin and flax seeds combination to be most delicious.
- Milk – whenever I run out of cow’s milk, and that happens fairly often, I make the following substitute -> 2-3 tbsp, heaping of Greek yogurt + water to reach a cow’s milk – like consistency for 3/4 of a cup (1 cup = 250 ml).
MORE RECIPES TO TRY:
Savory Feta Olive Muffins
1 cup = 250 ml
- 1 egg, large
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup green/black olives, pitted and cut into circles
- 1/3 cup mix of seeds (pumpkin & flax seeds)
- 1 cup feta cheese (or shredded cheddar), crumbled
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tbsp dill (finely chopped or dried)
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- In a large mixing bowl add all wet ingredients (milk, egg and vegetable oil) and whisk until well combined.
- In another mixing bowl combine dry ingredients (flour, pumkin & flax seeds, feta/cheddar cheese, dill and cumin. Then add baking podwer and mix well.
- Once wet and dry ingredients are well incorporated, make a well in the middle of dry ingredients and add wet mixture. Gently mix with a spoon until just combined.
- Then scoop into desired muffin form and bake in preheated oven for approx. 20-30 min or until toothpick comes out clean. Set aside to cool down.