Nourishing meatball soup, packed with flavor and perfect for busy people on weekdays.
Why we Love it:
- Simple to prepare
- Delicious winter-y taste
- Veggie rich & kid friendly
Snowflakes slowly dancing around in a seemingly careless fashion, you blink and they are all gone. Freezing wind blows in your reddish face, trying to steal a tear from our eyes. People running around with scarfs around their mouths, trying to take a breath while shaking off snow of their hats. It’s all the taste of winter in Europe.
When weather is showing us it’s coldest (and prettiest at the same time) face, we all want to lie in bed all day (or at least I do). Yeah, kind of impossible when you have a family + job to attend to.
During those lazy winter days I crave (more) snuggles and sweets (like these chewy tahini brownies). Somehow, my enthusiasm for spending endless hours glued to the oven vanishes as a snowflake in a muddy puddle. Thank goodness mankind created soups!
The ultimate meatball winter soup with sweet potatoes comes to the rescue. It’s tasty, easy to prepare and above all my toddler and hubby love it. Hope you do too J
MORE TASTY AND EASY RECIPES TO TRY:
- Easy and creamy tuna soup – see recipe here
- Nourishing meatball soup – see recipe here
- Creamy Nettle soup with Feta – see recipe here
- Easy Grilled Asparagus (see recipe here)
- Simple potato bake with pumpkin seeds (see recipe here)
- Creamy Baba Ganoush Recipe – with best oven-baked eggplant (see recipe here)
Winter Meatball Soup
- 0.5 lbs ready to use meatballs
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 tbsp canned tomatoes, chopped
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 4-5 cups water, or more as needed
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp all purpose seasoning
Homemade meatballs (if you don't use pre-made meatballs)
- 0.5 lbs minced meat
- 3 tbsp rice for homemade meatballs, optional
- 1 tbsp herbs de provence blend
- In a large cooking pan saute chopped onions and carrot in olive oil until lightly brown and soft (about 5 minutes). Add splashes of water as needed to prevent onions from burning.
- Add all purpose seasoning and whole wheat flour and mix well. Add 1/2 cup of water if mixture becomes sticky and lumpy.
- Then, add chopped tomatoes, potatoes and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Then add meatballs (if pre-made otherwise see below how to make homemade meatballs) and remaining water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until all ingredients are cooked.
- Approx. 10 minutes before removing from stove top, add chopped parsley and simmer. Then remove and serve warm.
Make your own Meatballs
- In a mixing bowl, combine minced meat with rice and seasoning blend. With wet hands gently form small meatballs (wet hands prevent meat from sticking on your fingers).
- Place in a separate bowl (or freeze for future use) and add to soup as described above.